CSAUS news

如果你们学校年总()收入是$50,000 或者少于 $50,000并且享受501(c)(3)免税的学校,想要了解每年应该如何向IRS报税,公关资源部为大家收集了有关这方面的信息,请参考下列的“问题和回答”或者查询CSAUS管理咨询网页 http://www.csaus.net/management12.asp


Questions and Answers for Small Tax-Exempt Organizations Annual Reporting Requirements - e-Postcard, Form 990-N (Annual Electronic Notice)

Who is Small Tax-Exempt Organization?
Small tax-exempt organizations, whose annual gross receipts are normally $50,000 or less.
To be tax-exempt under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code, an organization must be organized or operated for the benefit of private interest, and no part of a section 501(c)(3) organization's net earnings may inure to the benefit of any private shareholder or individual.

Gross receipts are the total amounts the organization received from all sources during its annual accounting period, without subtracting any costs or expenses.

Who Must File
Most small tax-exempt organizations with gross receipts that are normally $50,000 or less must file the e-Postcard, Form 990-N.Note: The requirement to file Form 990-N is an annual requirement.


What is e-Postcard, Form 990-N?
Most Small tax-exempt organizations are required to electronically submit Form 990-N, also known as the e-Postcard(Annual Electronic Notice), unless they choose to file a complete Form 990 or Form 990-EZ instead.

How Much Does it Cost to File the e-Postcard, Form 990-N?
Filing the e-Postcard, Form 990-N is free.

Is There Penalty for Late Filling the e-Postcard, Form 990-N?
There is no penalty assessment for late filing the e-Postcard. If you do not file your e-Postcard on time, the IRS will send you a reminder notice.

What if Small Tax-Exempt Organization Late Fills the e-Postcard, Form 990-N?
If an organization fails to file required e-Postcards for three consecutive years, this organization will automatically lose its tax-exempt status. The revocation of the organization’s tax-exempt status will not take place until the filing due date of the third year.

What is Filling Due Date of the e-Postcard, Form 990-N?
The e-Postcard is due every year by the 15th day of the 5th month after the close of your tax year. For example, if your tax year ended on December 31, the e-Postcard is due May 15 of the following year. If the due date falls on a Saturday, Sunday, or legal holiday, the due date is the next business day. You cannot file the e-Postcard until after your tax year ends.

How Can I Determine What My Exempt Organization’s Tax Year is?
A tax year is usually 12 consecutive months.  There are two kinds of tax years:

  • Calendar Tax Year:  This is a period of 12 consecutive months beginning January 1 and ending December 31; or
  • Fiscal Tax Year:  This is a period of 12 consecutive months ending on the last day of any month except December.

Generally, your tax year (or accounting period) can be found in the following documents:

  • Your organization’s by-laws.
  • Your application for federal tax-exempt status (Form 1023 or Form 1024) or the determination letter you received approving your tax-exempt status.
  • The application, Form SS-4, your organization filed to obtain its employer identification number (EIN).
  • A copy of a prior year return, Form 990 or 990-EZ, that you filed with the IRS.

Can an Organization File an e-Postcard for a Prior Year?
Yes, you can file an e-Postcard for a prior year through one of IRS approved e-file service providers. However, you cannot file an e-Postcard for a prior year through the link on IRS site to the filing system.

Can I File the e-Postcard Before the Close of my Tax Year?
No, you cannot file the e-Postcard until after the end of your tax year.

How to File?

Use this link http://apps.irs.gov/app/scripts/exit.jsp?dest=http://epostcard.form990.org/ to file the e-Postcard.

Please note that by clicking on this link, you will leave the IRS web site and enter a privately owned web site created, operated and maintained by a private business.
The information that this private business collects and maintains as a result of your visit to its web site may differ from the information that the IRS collects and maintains. (please see the IRS web site privacy and security notice for privacy protections IRS provides to web site visitors).
By linking to this private business, the IRS is not endorsing its products, services, or privacy or security policies. We recommend you review the business's information collection policy or terms and conditions to fully understand what information is collected by this private business.

If you have trouble accessing the system using that link, you may be able to access the filing site directly by typing or pasting the following address into your Internet browser: http://epostcard.form990.org. When you access the system, you will leave the IRS site and file the e-Postcard with the IRS through our trusted partner, Urban Institute. The form must be completed and filed electronically. There is no paper form.

What Information will you need to file the e-Postcard, Form 990-N?
The e-Postcard is easy to complete. All you need is eight items of basic information about your organization.

  • Employer Identification Number (EIN), also known as a Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN).
  • Tax year
  • Legal name and mailing address
  • Any other names the organization uses
  • Name and address of a principal officer
  • Web site address if the organization has one
  • Confirmation that the organization’s annual gross receipts are $50,000 or less
  • If applicable, a statement that the organization has terminated or is terminating (going out of business)

Can my State Return be Filed Electronically?
States that choose to participate must complete a registration and testing process before opening Fed/State filing. Participating Sates are shown below and also will be listed on the IRS Web site as they complete this process. 
States Participating in the MeF Federal/State Program

If you have any questions and need more information, please go to IRS.org website or call IRS Toll-Free at 1-877-829-5500.
This is for information only.  CSAUS provides this information for member's reference. Recommend member schools to consult a CPA for tax matter, and CSAUS assumes no legal responsibility resulted from using the information here.